- My inspiration for this project was the W12 engine featured in VW and Audi cars. The W12 engine is the engineers dream of making a compact v12 engine that would ordinarily be found in cars like the Lamborghini Murcielago.
- Inspiration also arose from the "Brain Gear" design
- My make the engine more compact, the v12 engine performance can become more efficient and adaptable to a larger variety of car, cross-over, and suv body styles.
What does this means for Rapid Prototyping?
- The initial focus was printing a w12 engine
- This then was simplified for availability to v8 engines
- Then the project became WHAT IF YOU COULD PRINT ENTIRE ASSEMBLIES
- The idea that with a finish CAD assemble the last proofing stage would be hitting print
- Just like printing off a paper
- The print time is really long for just the engine block being around 22 hours
- This assembly contains lots of parts, around 30 parts if simplified
- The parts would have to be re-designed to allow gaps between each neighboring part
- This is for support material to fill in the assembly, allowing it to have mechanical movements
- The final assembly cannot have the same tolerances as the scale product
- The part can be printed in a shorter total print period
- Parts can be used as a scale model of the final product
- No assembly required out side of dissolving support material in bath
My Rapid Prototype
- The Brain Gear inspired v8 engine can be printed as an assembly
- This can only be produced on a machine with dissolvable support material or powdered material
- Provides a section view of how a system within the engine would normally operate
- Does not require assembly, simply print and place in bath for support removal
- Requires limited CAD design modifications to be made to make printable
- Does have lengthy build times, 22 plus hours
What does this mean for the future?
- Software can be used to optimize the model and interpret joints and spacing for supports
- Printable models can be optimized for print time
- Density can be scaled to model specs if similar materials or material weights are used
- Removes the need of using large amount of adhesive or small fasteners when making a scale model